The New Deal

Sipowicz

Server Admin
Staff member
ARK Admin
SE Admin
Somewhat recently our cluster set-up received an update that allows me much better flexibility to configure the servers how I originally envisioned them. The goal is to evolve the servers so they don’t become boring. So to spice things up a little I have a few ideas, and a plan that will soon be in motion.

To add a neat dynamic to our cluster we are going to add the PvP server to it, and change the island BACK to PvPvE. I would limit certain transfers so PvP could not be abused.

This would mean players could transfer their characters back and forth between the servers. We will allow Items and Dinos to transfer from PvP to PvE, and NOT the other way around. This coupled with settings changes we have planned for the Island server should make things pretty interesting.

Here is what the changes would look like:

• Ragnarok PvE won’t see any changes. I consider this the easy server. It has the most quality of life alterations as compared to our other servers, and is PvE. You will be able to transfer to this map freely from any of our servers.

• The Island will be our “Medium” difficulty server. Pretty much the same QL changes as the Ragnarok PvE server except were setting it back to PvP. We will add Offline Raid Protection (ORP2), and set PvPvE type rules. This will make it a more difficult/interesting option for those who find the Rag PvE server a little too slow after a while.

• Ragnarok PvP I consider to be our “Hard” server. It has the fewest Quality of Life changes, and mods. The only changes planned for this map will be a few outdated settings that we need to update to make sure were in line with Official servers (our original Goal). The process of adding the server to the cluster means moving it to a new machine. In this case a faster machine for the PvP map than it is currently on. This also means a new IP address so players will have to look out for that when this goes in motion.

REvolution events will continue for all servers on its regular schedule. Breeding events may also be worked into that mix.

The island server will be taking the biggest change, and it is the least active server. All other changes are minor adjustments.

Just to be clear, no progress will be wiped. Feel free to voice your opinion down below.

Last edited:

Ellium

WoW Officer
Staff member
Officer
WoW Team
Sip, I have a number of concerns when it comes the changes outlined here.

My tribe has been on the cluster for about 3 months now and we are just starting to get into the endgame functionality of Ark itself. There has been a lot of build up toward doing the bosses and unlocking the engrams for Tek Structures and farming the resources so that we could get the proper blue prints for gear.

In changing this, and if it happens before we can clear the Island bosses, we will not be able to transfer our Dinos to the Island server(Just as many of the other tribes have had the opportunity to do without restriction in the last few months) in order to complete the island bosses properly and unlock what we would need in order to get full access to the game. In making this change you are giving a firm advantage to those tribes that have had the time and the opportunity to move back and forth without restrictions. This causes a clear gap between those who will then be able to participate in the "Hard" server and a hindrance for those who now have to function under different restrictions, making it more difficult to catch up or properly be on the level of those long term players on the cluster.

In a similar vein, talking with Zegan we have gleaned information about there being a lack of interest in making a PvPvE structure work. In this case you are forcing people to take additional risk and for a number of people they will avoid the server because of it. Giving you the same player vacuum you have now.

Personally, I would love to take part in a PVP server, but I believe it needs to start without having an established survivor or any materials at all. Starting a fresh server will allow everyone to start with an even playing field and let new players experience a server that hasn't been alive for 8,000 days. A even keel and level ground will encourage people to try it out and allow players to settle into things without being constantly hunted and wiped by established player base. This is the reason that a lot of PvP servers in Ark do not work. Make the PVP server a seasonal thing, where it stays up for 3-6 months as a season (Or however long you decide) and you will find plenty of people active and trying their hand at the full experience of Ark.

Thank you for your time!

Sipowicz

Server Admin
Staff member
ARK Admin
SE Admin
Sip, I have a number of concerns when it comes the changes outlined here.

In changing this, and if it happens before we can clear the Island bosses, we will not be able to transfer our Dinos to the Island server(Just as many of the other tribes have had the opportunity to do without restriction in the last few months) in order to complete the island bosses properly and unlock what we would need in order to get full access to the game. In making this change you are giving a firm advantage to those tribes that have had the time and the opportunity to move back and forth without restrictions. This causes a clear gap between those who will then be able to participate in the "Hard" server and a hindrance for those who now have to function under different restrictions, making it more difficult to catch up or properly be on the level of those long term players on the cluster.
Since dinos have been transferred from Rag PvE to the Island already it does make sense to allow players to continue to due so. Since we don't plan to undue any progress on that map. I don't wish to place any more of a hindrance to achieving end game content in a PvE like environment either.

In a similar vein, talking with Zegan we have gleaned information about there being a lack of interest in making a PvPvE structure work. In this case you are forcing people to take additional risk and for a number of people they will avoid the server because of it. Giving you the same player vacuum you have now.
The Island has seen a record vacuum for roughly that last 4 months. Its possible this doesn't improve that. But unless it worsens the activity levels (cant get much lower) its worth offering that Style of play to other players.

Personally, I would love to take part in a PVP server, but I believe it needs to start without having an established survivor or any materials at all. Starting a fresh server will allow everyone to start with an even playing field and let new players experience a server that hasn't been alive for 8,000 days. A even keel and level ground will encourage people to try it out and allow players to settle into things without being constantly hunted and wiped by established player base. This is the reason that a lot of PvP servers in Ark do not work. Make the PVP server a seasonal thing, where it stays up for 3-6 months as a season (Or however long you decide) and you will find plenty of people active and trying their hand at the full experience of Ark.

Thank you for your time!
The Island at heart will still be pretty much PvE. With the addition of ORP2, and the Rules we will enforce, the PvP on the Island wont amount to much more than shenanigans. So the need for "even playing field" is mute. The Island is a No-Wipe server so players have already been established for a LONG time. We don't really mean for there to be competitive or "serious" PvP activity there.

For that kind of PvP see the Ragnarok PvP server. Which will only allow the transfer of players.

Sipowicz

Server Admin
Staff member
ARK Admin
SE Admin
Just to elaborate on my motives a little. I spend a lot of time Recruiting for our servers on the forums. I find an equal amount of players looking for PvE, PvP, And PvPvE (easy mode PvP). So im highly motivated to bring those players together.

-187- ŽΣĠǺŅ

Staff
Staff member
ARK Admin
Supporter
I was thinking about the pvpve island and how people are concerned about raiding from established tribes. Even tho i strongly believe that would never be an issue i think if people are interested we could implement a general raiding rule. If people are interested in raiding they would have to be raiding people of equal or greater tier. Or if people think that not fair then one tier lower then theirs and up.
Example a stone tier tribe cannot raid a thatch or wood player. But can raid someone of stone or metal.
So any "established" metal tribe cannot raid anyone below metal.
Curious what everyone thinks of this idea

-187- ŽΣĠǺŅ

Staff
Staff member
ARK Admin
Supporter
And just to be clear. There are only 3 "established" tribes on the island. Hobos, acopolissa and dude. Neither of them i believe would attack anyone unless provoked. You all know us and how we play. There are a couple other tribes there but for the most part are just starting out or restarting like hippos.

DudeAwesome

Server Admin
Staff member
ARK Admin
Supporter
Personally, I'm in favor of puttin' some flavor back into the Island (it being my Ark home), so going back to the PvPvE of before, sounds awesome! I also hope we can bring back the events to the island, since everybody loves some shenanigans and malarkey. ;)

Secret Asian

Regular
Revenant Member
Supporter
I love the island. I agree with the comment that the established members are not hardcore PvP players. I don't see Hobos, acopolissa and dude doing unprovoked raids, in fact all have helped me out greatly leading to my great enjoyment of ark.