SE Server Wipe Poll

• I don't want to wipe the server!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rizzo

Revenant Member
SE Admin
Hello fellow engineers. After much deliberation with veteran players and servicing the admin side, I'd like to propose that we create a fresh instance of Revenant SE for the community and want to have your input. Here are some of the factors involved for your consideration:
  • The server has over two years served us well, but requires constant vigilance with regard to how many structures are actually in play and whether or not the owner is around anymore.
  • There are some loopholes in the cleanup process that can keep structures around indefinitely.
  • At least two planets were added via administrative paste... which means they don't have the benefit of proper NPC bases/structures for players to interact with.
  • After the Keen ID update a couple of releases ago, some of our Torch plugins are not working correctly, this includes our consensual PVP bounty system.
  • Similar to above, Keen releases has artificially bloated the mod count on the server and some of our mods are incorrectly displaying errors to players, despite being up to date.
  • Keen themselves had to wipe all their servers to fix many of these problems.
However, despite this proposal, we do have mechanisms to retain items for active players:
  • The hangar system can store your grids in files and then be used to restore on a new instance.
Armed with this knowledge, here are your options:

DJ_Eostrix

I have just joined this server and have worked many hours starting a base, mining rig, and a new design for a ship. Would be awesome to be able to save my structures as a blue print. I understand how prior players who no longer play the game and still have bases could slow the server for everyone. This is just my thought on this subject.

amhw1964

Supporter
As long as I have time to hangar the one ship I haven't made a copy of and pull out my bugout space base and transfer some inventory I'm good with hangaring stuff then wiping to start over from hangar.
Question is how much notice before wipe can we have? I don't mind starting new bases (mine both have significant underground/in asteroid parts), but I would like to be able to store as much as possible of my reserves of ores, ingots, and components on the bugout base to save it to hangar.

Afterthought - temporarily increasing hangar grid limit could be useful, though for me it would just be an added perk, i could hangar my original Upgoer One, a couple rovers, and an atmo hauler i currently don't have hangared.

Rizzo

Revenant Member
SE Admin
You can already hangar multiple vehicles by "attaching them together". This means if you use a merge block, hinge or rotor you can create a permanent attachment and thus make two grids become one and then store it. This includes small grids attached to large via the large rotor with small head or the large hinge with 3x3 small head. One player uses a special multiunit docking arm for this purpose. The hangar system has a subgrid option which I will be turning on for the event. This allows storage of docked (i.e. connector) grids. Here are some additional details:
  • We will give people plenty of time (at least a couple weeks) after the poll closes to get things stored for the move.
  • A date/time will be published so that we know what we are working against.
  • The hangar system settings will temporarily be loosened likely in the coming week.
  • I will run the auto hangar command on the day of release which will attempt to catch any straggler grids.
  • The server will temporarily be unavailable for a few hours while we build/setup the new world.

amhw1964

Supporter
I've honestly been preparing and had copies of my most important grids hangared already, a few more slots would just be gravy for me. Now, for future designs I'll think on incorporating merge/hinge/rotor blocks as well.

My two actual base grids are so deeply incorporated with voxels I'm calling them write-offs, which is fine, I've learned so much since building them I look forward to building new ones.

Rizzo

Revenant Member
SE Admin
My two actual base grids are so deeply incorporated with voxels I'm calling them write-offs, which is fine, I've learned so much since building them I look forward to building new ones.
You can always grind them down and put the resources in a grid you are storing so you have the materials for the structures later.