Minecraft!

F

foo

I created and operated a minecraft server for nearly 2 years. It ran off a hosted debian box.

3 golden rules if you want a successful MC server:

1. Never use hamachi, or a server based in someones house - bad idea. It has to be on a dedicated machine.
2. Use a whitelist
3. Use bukkit

It is notoriously high maintenance as well, especially if you want to use mods. You'll need someone who is dedicated to looking after it day in day out.

M

MisterJoe

lets make one I use to have my own as well and I know how to work the plugins pretty well

F

fraser dexter

Apples and oranges. Your talking about a VPN service and a Type of Minecraft Addon.

We use to have a Minecraft server up. If enough people were interested, we could possibly host one again.
okay

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
Download 30mgps and upload 30mgps ... ?
Consumer internet is much different than Backbone connections. Plus factory in power of always having the machine on, AC if it runs hot, Bandwidth of other devices on your network, quality of your modem/router/switches, backing up of worlds/plugins incase a crash. People don't need to spend hours working if your spare pc just crashes, or you decide to go away for the weekend.

F

foo

Seriously, if you want more than 5 people to be able to play at once reliably, you need to host a proper server. This is going off LOTS of experience and sleepless nights.

Also you want the proper client (or bukkit client) to actually play, not the web based one.

F

fraser dexter

Seriously, if you want more than 5 people to be able to play at once reliably, you need to host a proper server. This is going off LOTS of experience and sleepless nights.

Also you want the proper client (or bukkit client) to actually play, not the web based one.
i was trying to make a bukkit one yesterday but it went tits up :/

Rexigar

Forum Master
Staff member
As Riva said, if there is enough interest we can look at getting a Minecraft Server hosted properly.

M

MisterJoe

I have made my own bukkit server before I can give you some tips if you need any help?

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
So I have a server up, if people want to jump on. This is a very alpha test of the dedicated server that I currently rent. I'm curious how well it can stack up. So feedback please.

As far as I can tell 1.6.2 is the latest bukkit, so that's what th server is running currently.

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
The main Minecraft launcher allows you to switch versions.

F

foo

Er, bukkit just got fucked. A DMCA takedown request has forced the developers to take it down.

WTF.