Your Top 5 most important things on games

J

Jushi85

Please, when you post your list include a short explanation why you think that particular important thing is...well...important. :D

I shall begin:

1. Good game mechanics - i hate playing games where controls, moving, jumping, keybindings,camera control etc.. are done bad.

2. Visual quality - i like when games have lots of eyecandy...

3. Audio - Sound effects, music and voice acting are very important for me.

4. story - well who likes a bad story and uninteresting characters...lol.

5. bug free - i feel like majority of pc games are so buggy and unfinished these days..

So that's my list. tell me what you think and please share your own list of top 5 most important thing on games.

N

NinjaGirl

Oh this is good!

My Top 5 reason to be in a Top 5 game would have to be

1. Customization - when I buy a game I know what type of game I am buying but I want to put my own flare on it - be it with perks for guns like CoD or GRP or something simple like Clothes etc but I want it to be mine if you get me?

2. Scenery/Settings - one of the main reasons I am digging DayZ and Arma is the beautiful scenery and landscapes. Fallout, Skyrim etc also fit that bill but they may have won with the music that they used in game. Same with GTA and the radio

3. Various assigned roles - So i am a bit of a organisational freak but I like having predefined roles - arma 3 is very cool in regards to having a Team Leader, Engineer Assault Driver etc - sandboxes are great fun but with large groups having roles etc is a big help in regards to organisation.

I am going to leave it at this for the minute as my boss is trying to see what im doing so better get back to work but will update this when I have thought out 4-5!
This is just my 2 cents :)

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
Hmmm.

1. Gameplay matches it's genre - Let me explain. Far too many times, have I seen a Single player game last 10 minutes, or a "Fun, Complex, long, or whatever" Multiplayer game be a basic FPS with 1 level. If your saying your game is X, your game better contain X and then some.

2. Sound - I am a huge sound guy. I love the sound of the players, guns, background noises. Battlefield series does a great job with ambient noises.

3. Clan/Guild API - I know this isn't every game, but In this day in age, if you have a multiplayer or online game and don't have some very detailed clan/guild options. You are years behind. I hate to bring WoW or Call of Duty up, but they both have awesome abilities to join a guild/clan and track everything about that clan/guild outside the actual game. This is huge for anyone who can't constantly play the game 24/7.

4. Modding - So I might just be old school. But one of the biggest games of my life was Halflife. It not only introduced a great FPS Story (best since some of the early shoots like doom/duke3d) but it also opened the doors for mods. Today every developer is focused on direct sales and will not release mod packs. I'm not sure what harm they see in it but it hurts the creative minds that play the game. User maps, and addons are what drive a lot of the top games today. If you think about it, some of the best games out today started as a Mod for Halflife(Team fortresss, Day of Defeat, Counter Strike, Left 4 Dead, etc.) Heck even Dayz was a mod before becoming a standalone.

5. Community - I know most of my points revolve around online games, but I believe the community is what drives a games success. Without it, it's just the same old stuff. For example: Darkfall online was the First Full Loot PVP MMO since shadowbane/UO days. It promised hundreds of options and events. The community hyped up huge for this game, hundreds of guilds and thousands of players would flood the site waiting for release. When the developers released, the game was a wash and the community instantly left. The game is still around but probably will never be at full capacity like it was during the first couple of years.

Rexigar

Forum Master
Staff member
Great post @Jushi85, Let's see.

1. Story/Lore - When I play a game, I want the story to take hold of me and not let go until I have finished it. If I am playing an MMO, I expect a good amount of Lore from the game. I will use Warcraft as a prime example. Across all of their games, RTS to MMO, they have such a rich lore that stays consistent across all their platforms. I have spent more time reading Wiki's and Books about game lore than I care to admit. I will even read lore about games I don't play, I know, I am sick. The writer should be able to dig hooks into the player, reel them in, and not let them go. If I don't make a connection with the characters, in my eyes, it lessons the quality of the game.

2. Customization - I agree with @NinjaGirl. I like playing games that allow me to customize either my character or aspects in the game. I have played great games that don't feature any customizing, but when it is available it makes me that much more happy. Skyrim's character customization was great and then the addon that let you customize and build your own house. 2 thumbs up. Even in GTA V Online you were able to customize what your character looked like, what clothes they could wear, etc. In SWTOR you can purchase and customize your own personal and guild strongholds. It's the little things like that that make a big difference to me.

3. Cooperative Game Play - Good Co-Op games seem to be all dead and gone. This upsets me! I am a huge fan of cooperative games. I remember @RivaCom and I playing Army of Two Co-Op Story Mode. It made a mediocre game great. We were able to play through and experience the story, all while strategizing and creating different ways to get past X obstacle.

4. Full Immersion - I guess this could be grouped with number 1, but I am giving it its own number. One of the reasons I play games is to escape to a different world where I can be anything. I want that game to then tug at my emotions to the point where it gets a reaction out of me. If there is an enemy I am interacting with, I want to him to actually make me angry. Final Fantasy X comes to mind. I remember while playing that game, feeling such a broad range of emotion. Anger, Sadness, and of course Happiness. Games that can yield physical reactions out of you make the experience much more significant and memorable.

5. Multiplayer - Every now and then I will sit down and play a game by myself. It doesn't happen too often though. I love the interaction with other, like minded gamers. A lot of games have multiplayer modes, and I am glad to see more and more coming out. If I have the ability to play with my friends, then it is a huge plus. Especially in First Person genre's. I will play the story mode solo, but doing multiplayer online doesn't really interest me unless I am playing with friends. You will never see me playing a Mutliplayer FPS solo.