Windows 10/XBOne/DX12 news

E

ExpiredLeaf

Microsoft just made a presentation about Windows 10 and there was a section dedicated to gaming, with the head of xbox coming to the presentation

They introduced the new XBox app on Windows 10, which is basically a games social network and similar to the ps4 home menu.

They are also bringing the game dvr function from xbox one over to win10.

There was also a small technical bit about directx 12 that showed a benchmark where dx11 would crash and dx12 wouldn't.

The part that caught my attention was the multiplatform online play in fable legends. This isn't something new, as some games have done this before (FFXIV does this between pc and ps4), but from they're "marketing speak", it felt like this time they're committing to it.

Another new thing is the possibility to stream your xbox one to any windows 10 device that you have (phone, tablet, pc).

Also, apparently win 10 is coming to xbox one, although they didn't specify how.

Links here
http://news.microsoft.com/windows10story/ gaming part starts at the 3 hour mark
in case the stream stopped working
http://kotaku.com/fable-legends-will-let-xbox-one-and-pc-gamers-play-toge-1680921034
http://kotaku.com/youll-be-able-to-stream-your-xbox-one-games-to-any-wind-1680920977

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
Streaming to a tablet or other windows device would be a Big plus for me. It's the one thing that would keep me away from considering a playstation/vita. However, they need to make a minimum version of win 10, if windows 10 can use less or equal to windows 8 in terms of resources, I would love to be able to plug my xbox one controller into my windows 8 tablet and play it anywhere in my house.

E

ExpiredLeaf

The demo they made for the streaming tech actually used a win 10 tablet with a xbone controller connected. The problem is that the only real option for a windows tablet right now is the ms surface pro line, and those aren't exactly cheap (although i think the price justifies itself on the build quality)

Sony's solution works very well on a lan, unfortunately it's only available on pstv/vita. If ms can make this work maybe we'll see sony following suit and release an app that does the same with their consoles and that would be cool for everyone.

Rexigar

Forum Master
Staff member
I'm not going to lie. Being able to play Xbox One games on another device is something I would really like to see. I'm hoping they will continue to develop it and actually bring it to us.

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
The demo they made for the streaming tech actually used a win 10 tablet with a xbone controller connected. The problem is that the only real option for a windows tablet right now is the ms surface pro line, and those aren't exactly cheap (although i think the price justifies itself on the build quality)

Sony's solution works very well on a lan, unfortunately it's only available on pstv/vita. If ms can make this work maybe we'll see sony following suit and release an app that does the same with their consoles and that would be cool for everyone.
Why is the surface the only option? There are over a dozen Windows 8 tablets with 1GB that run ok for under 100 dollars. And there are tons of 2GB Windows 8 Tablets that can be purchased for $200-250. I have a Asus Vivotab 8(Quad Core 1.8, 2GB Ram, 32GB Drive plus 64GB MicroSD). Windows 8 runs fine on it. I will actually be trying to stream classic games from it soon.

So to my point, why is the surface the only choice? If they make windows 10 correctly, I should have no issue loading windows 10 onto my tablet(because it's free) and streaming my xbox one.

The other question I have is, Wireless signal for the controller, I know I can plug the controller into a usb, but my tablet charges via USB, so I'd prefer somehow them making a bluetooth version of their controller.

E

ExpiredLeaf

Why is the surface the only option? There are over a dozen Windows 8 tablets with 1GB that run ok for under 100 dollars. And there are tons of 2GB Windows 8 Tablets that can be purchased for $200-250. I have a Asus Vivotab 8(Quad Core 1.8, 2GB Ram, 32GB Drive plus 64GB MicroSD). Windows 8 runs fine on it. I will actually be trying to stream classic games from it soon.

So to my point, why is the surface the only choice? If they make windows 10 correctly, I should have no issue loading windows 10 onto my tablet(because it's free) and streaming my xbox one.

The other question I have is, Wireless signal for the controller, I know I can plug the controller into a usb, but my tablet charges via USB, so I'd prefer somehow them making a bluetooth version of their controller.
Personally i'd rather have at least 4gb on any windows 7 and up machine, but i also haven't had less than that on my windows since 2009.
Maybe the OS actually scales well to low amounts of ram.
A friend of mine has a 12'' win 8 convertible but that has a pentium dual core with 2gb of ram and a physical hd and copy/pasting text from sublime text to a google doc (on chrome) was actually very slow.
The only other experience I have with windows on tablets were the surface pro tablets and those are very good windows machines.

Has for the controller I think the only wireless options are one of the dualshocks with a xinput conversion app or the wii u pad with a local webserver and javascript running on the wii u. The xbone controller still only works with a wired connection.

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
Personally i'd rather have at least 4gb on any windows 7 and up machine, but i also haven't had less than that on my windows since 2009.
Maybe the OS actually scales well to low amounts of ram.
A friend of mine has a 12'' win 8 convertible but that has a pentium dual core with 2gb of ram and a physical hd and copy/pasting text from sublime text to a google doc (on chrome) was actually very slow.
The only other experience I have with windows on tablets were the surface pro tablets and those are very good windows machines.

Has for the controller I think the only wireless options are one of the dualshocks with a xinput conversion app or the wii u pad with a local webserver and javascript running on the wii u. The xbone controller still only works with a wired connection.
So let's not confuse a lot of subjects here. 1st , Convertible notebook is not a tablet. 2nd, Although Chrome is much smoother experience, Chrome is a resource hog. It was never ment for low ram situations.

That being said, the Vita houses a Arm based 2.0ghz Quad cpu, with 512MB of ram and 128MB of video ram. So let's take worst case here. My tablet is a Asus Vivotab 8.
  • Quad 1.3ghz up to 1.83ghz
  • Intel HD 4000
  • 2 GB DDR3 Ram
So let say when I turn on my tablet, cpu is idling close to zero. Memory at 30-35%. This leaves me roughly 1.25GB of ram left. This would be more then double to what the Vita has to stream whatever. This is why I think they mentioned windows Phones as well, windows phone would probably close to 1/4th the specs of these tablets. So honestly, if they don't shoot for a very low impact OS and Streaming platform, they might as well kiss the market goodbye