Sch-LOL-arships?

S

SamSkumm

It could be because I'm getting old, but academic institutions rewarding students for playing video games still feels like a concept torn straight from Back to the Future. But it's happening: the University of Pikeville in Kentucky will offer 20 scholarships for high level League of Legends players when the semester commences in Autumn.

Pikeville isn't the first college to do so, with Chicago's Robert Morris University introducing a similar scholarship last year. While plenty of colleges and universities compete every year as part of the Collegiate StarLeague, few actually offer scholarships based on League of Legends performance.

"It will be a regime a lot like athletics," the college's New Media Director Bruce Parsons told WYMT TV. "They'll have to have a certain GPA (grade point average). We'll look at them like student athletes. There will be practice time and video time when they have to study other teams for upcoming competitions."

The move is part of the mainstream's ongoing embrace of eSports and, in particular, MOBAs. ESPN broadcasted last year's Dota 2 International tournament, which was popular enough for one source to claim that the network intends to "double down" on its eSports coverage.

SOURCE

so revenants, is this ridiculous? or do high level gamers deserve the same treatment as their athletic peers?

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
You know, High level gaming is up there with probably some lower level athletes, I wouldn't say it's impossible. This is straight out of video game high school by freddie wong.

N

NSH4RPY

Its amazing how gaming has got to a point where you could do it for a living!!!

Rexigar

Forum Master
Staff member
I don't see why it couldn't be put in a category with sports. If you look up the actual definition of the word sport. "An athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often as a competitive nature. " I'd say gaming at that type of level would certainly require skill and where as you may not be physically using your body, I would certainly say you use your brain a lot for these types of games.

S

SamSkumm

I agree rex, but i think that the hand eye coordination required to play is using your body, as mush as a snooker or darts player anyway and both snooker and darts are regarded as sports

Rexigar

Forum Master
Staff member
That's very true and let's be honest. The ability to sit on your ass all day really takes some conditioning.

ManBearPig

Forum Guru
Revenant Member
Revenant Ambassador
Bronze Donor
I don't see why it couldn't be put in a category with sports. If you look up the actual definition of the word sport. "An athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often as a competitive nature. " I'd say gaming at that type of level would certainly require skill and where as you may not be physically using your body, I would certainly say you use your brain a lot for these types of games.
Ya and I don't know about you guys but I have moments in gaming where I've sweat profusely.

N

NSH4RPY

even table footballs considered a sport, so gaming 100% should be!!