MGS: The Phantom Pain

Rexigar

Forum Master
Staff member
Is anyone picking up the new Metal Gear Solid that comes out on Tuesday? MGS is one of my all time favorite franchises (even though I am hella pissed at Konami about Hideo). This could arguably be the last Hideo Kojima MGS ever made.

Curious if there are any other MGS fans out there.

A

Ares

I literally bought it an hour later when it became available. I have been a huge fan, played MGS4 first, fell in love with series. So far I have finished 1,2 and 4. I have been playing 3 for a while now but I got stuck at the boss fight with Volgin, going to play peace walker some time soon. I happen to have Legacy collection, and the original MGS 4 which comes with MGO, when it's server was alive, It was really fun to play. I guess I can say I am a fan. Bad news for you but as far as I know, THIS is the LAST MGS game, we know how story ends with MGS4, and we all saw how it started in MGS3, this was the missing link between Big Boss and Solid Snake. Though I hope they will be explaining why there is a Balrog like metal gear in 1984 but the one in 2004 shadow moses is our useless rex. I mean they pretty much went back in time, and this is not some stupid thing they could call fiction. I also wonder why there are Warp Fultons which teleports stuff back to base instantly, oh and also why do we have a god damn technology to change the climate... I mean I have tons of questions in my mind, but as far as story goes, this is the missing link that will be connecting both arcs, and this will be the last game which will be a Hideo Kojima Metal Gear Solid. I hope they won't produce low quality stuff like revengeance again.

Giant

Regular
Because my money is extremely limited (I live on a very fixed income), I'll probably be giving this one a miss for a while till it's onsale. I've always found the controls to the MSG games to be stiff and a bit intuitive, particularly since half of the games seem to be a 'menu simulator'. The stories seem a tad off the cuff for me too, though from 3 on they seem a tad more grounded.

I guess I'm over BBG's for now and just keep looking for those unique gems that lay in the indie wasteland.

Rexigar

Forum Master
Staff member
It may be the last game within this storyline. That doesn't mean Konami won't work up a spinoff or something related to keep trying to milk this cash cow. I had the unfortunate experience of playing Revengeance, and where I hope they will let the series ride off into the sunset going out on this last, assumingly, good game. I fear they may take the good MGS name and drive it far into the dirt. I guess time will tell.

Bootscrapper

V.I.P.
Revenant Member
Revenant Ambassador
Bronze Donor
I am definitely going to be picking it up sometime this week. i don't think i will get a lot of time to play it till this weekend. i agree with you Rexigar completely, Konami fuc#@$ up outing Kojima. which puts me in that weird place where i don't want to buy the game and support Konami but i also want to support Kojima so i'll just buy this game and i'm pretty much done with Konami, MGS was the only franchise they had left that i was really interested in anyways. on the other hand i am very interested to see what Kojima does outside of Konami. i kinda do want him to move on from MGS i want to see what else he has to offer.

Rexigar

Forum Master
Staff member
I'm not sure exactly how the licensing works, but I'd assume Konami has full control over the Metal Gear Solid IP. I am a huge supporter of Hideo Kojima, Konami is dead to me lol. I hope he can start a new IP and bring something new and amazing to the table.