25 years after Mega Drive/Sega Genesis

P

poispois

so 25 years ago this day, this beautiful thing came to us

This was my first console and pretty much the first place where I played anything seriously!
It came out the year I was born and for my it's the best and most iconic gaming platform ever made. I still have mine and I still play, when nostalgic hits, sonic (all of them) super street fighter 2, shinobi, golden axe, streets of rage and so many good games.
For me it was the best console ever made and the most fall proof, next to this the nokia 3310 is just a little kid, I can't even imagine how many times mine fell to the ground with the biggest impact, but in the end a little shake or a gentle slat and it would always start. And the games, doesn't work, remove the me, blow on the game, blow on the game entrance in the console... all new!!!
And those times the game would freeze for no reason and since there wasn't saves you had to start the game from the beginning AGAIN but still with a smile on your face! (well, maybe not always with a smile)

thank you my old friend and Happy Birthday!!!

N

NinjaGirl

Haha the non saves is something I tried to forget! I am fairly certain my uncle still has the one that started me on a gaming path! Love it!

F

foo

My brother had the Megadrive and I had a SNES, we were a Nintendo Vs Sega household right up until Sega stepped out of the hardware market.

Also, there were totally saves back in the day, it depended on the game. Hell I remember using passphrases to load ahead into later levels on my Commodore 64.

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
Some games had little extra space they would save. But they were basically level saves. So if you were on level X, thats where you would spawn.

Also with sega(not sure if it made it outside the US)

Also, I feel old as this was my first console.

F

foo

Ah the Intellivision. Hundreds of games that were all Pong. I had a Dragon 32 at one point:

S

SamSkumm

ahh the good ol days! i loved my mega drive!

will never forget playing sonic till 4am at 5years old lol!

also loved paperboy and mummy on this badboy

but my favourite childhood game of all time has to be this little gem on the atari

i was soo fucking obsessed with this game as a child.

F

foo

Y'know what isn't happy childhood memory? Centipede on the Atari 2600. It's a good thing that digitised speech was in it's infancy then otherwise whenever you turned that piece of shit on you'd probably hear:

"OH ITS YOU AGAIN HUH? COOL. ILL JUST, NEVER LET YOU WIN. EVER. SO GO FUCK YOURSELF."

F

foo

The worst sound was me throwing a tantrum and hurling the joystick at the wall.

R

RichardasLTU

I couldn't afford sega as a child, but had something different:

Chip n' Dale, Batman, Sonic, Super mario and stuff.... Ah....
And later:

Heretic, Hexen, Doom, Dangerous Dave series... Was happy DOS runing kid...

S

SamSkumm

I couldn't afford sega as a child, but had something different:

Chip n' Dale, Batman, Sonic, Super mario and stuff.... Ah....
And later:

Heretic, Hexen, Doom, Dangerous Dave series... Was happy DOS runing kid...
Mario and Sonic? think you got the best of both worlds! :D