upgraded my pc

C

conithwolf

i have recently added a new intel i5 quadcore 2500k 3.3ghz that has been overclock but i can't restart my computer now of it struggles to turn on took me a hour to turn it on last time idk why
i have upgraded my graphics card from a hd radeon 6850 1gb to a sapphire xboost 2 fan amd radeon R9 270X with 4gb and love it
i am running windows 10 technical preview build 10049
i have 8gb of ddr3 ram and yesi know ddr3 is ok and yes it can be upgraded but the cost of it is hard to get
and i had to upgrade card my main was to low for modern gaming
my motherboard is a asrock p67 pro3 SE
i have a 750 watt power supply it it fine might need a betterone if at some time if i want to add a second R9
i have a logitech G105 keyboard and a logitech 5 button mouse
a razor nostromo i dont use often i really should tho
im running 2 mnitors a phillips 19" hd tv and a samsung syncMaster 915N
the issue i have when it powers down it my fans power on then shut off and every 3 or 4 times i get a beep then it keeps doing it i have been looking at it online and have not found a solution but for now i will not be turning it off at all
o and just 2 days ago i did a fresh install of windows 10 to let u know i wiped everything

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
2 things, did you buy the chip overclocked? If so, that's most likely your problem. Overclocking is a science and you have to mess with memory and bus speeds to match the cpu. If one of those isn't correct your going to burn out that PC. Also, the 2500k is unlocked but 3.3ghz is usually way more then any game will need. So why overclock and draw more power from your PSU? Also if your overclocking, you need a custom air cooler or water cooling, otherwise it's just going to burn up.

2. Why are you worried about the DDR3? 2500k is what 3 or 4 generations old now? I'm not sure you could find a motherboard that would handle anything higher for that old of a cheap.
http://ark.intel.com/products/52210/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz
looks like it can't handle anything over 1333ghz for a standard bus speed so I wouldn't push it.

C

Cmd

My locked cpu won't power on unless i discharge the caps (turn off psu, wait for mouse to power down and start again).

M

Mellow

i got a normal, locked I5-2500, and in terms of gaming i can tell this CPU is still able to handle games very well, even on stock speeds.

Running GTA V on that CPU with a GTX 960 on high/very high settings, and i'm getting very nice FPS out of it.

C

Cmd

It may be something to do with the gpu, try taking that out and run it on the intel graphics. IIRC(was nearly a year ago) when my gpu was waiting on power cables my pc started normally.

C

conithwolf

i have figured out my issue my psu could not run the new graphics card it took to much power when u started up a game and so my computer would shut down +12V 22A rail is not enough to run my R9 270X and u are right cpu is good figured that out as well my fan need to be replaced the heatsink would not sit properly after my last cleaning some of the pegs that lock into the board broke not completely it still sits in there just not as snug as it should so i had to get a new one and also my hard drive died about a week ago now it got corupted from all the power failure so i replaced it with a 480gb solid state drive and i will have my new psu and fan on the 29th and i will be installing it that day at some point if any of u wish to add me on skype and wish to talk to while im setting it up on the 29th let me know my skype name is derek yockel there will be 3 of them just add them all i will get you

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
750 Watts should run 2 R9 270x's. I have a 650 Watt and a R9 270x without any issues at all. Granted your cpu does take up a little more power. But I have the same if not more and run well under 650watts. Like i said before, manually overclocking can cause power drain issues which could be shorting your power supply. If you don't know what your doing or have changed hardware out, you need to underclock back your cpu before you burn it out.

C

conithwolf

riva it is the my +12v rails on my psu it could not supply enough power so it was killing my pc it is only 22A i need at lease 45 from what i hear to run my computer with my r9 my new psu has a +12v with 62A im not overclocking

Last edited:
M

Mellow

This is strange, man, i'm rather thinking this was your PSU starting to fail rather then not being able to run the graphics card, i'm not sure what i have, but i think a 750 Watt PSU aswell, and i'm even combining a heavier graphics card then yours, and never had any problem like you had before with any graphics card i installed in computers so far.

I just had to update my BIOS to make newer GPU's run on my motherboard.

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
I agree , most power supplies are 12v , so like i said bad overclocking or failing powersupply is most likely the issue.

C

conithwolf

mellow that is my new 750W psu it has a 62A +12v rail my old psu was a 700W that only had a 22A +12V rail and that is why it could not run the card it takes at least 32A to run a R9 card that has 2 pcie power ports and yes my old psu was dying

Last edited:

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
mellow that is my new 750W psu it has a 62A +12v rail my old psu was a 700W that only had a 22A +12V rail and that is why it could not run the card it takes at least 32A to run a R9 card that has 2 pcie power ports and yes my old psu was dying
That's why there is usually 2 plugs in the card...

C

conithwolf

no my old power supply did not even have the amps to run it my +12v rail could not run it it drained to much power as soon as it kicked on and it shut off my power because of power overdraw and my psu could not do that so it killed it every time i went to play a game my r9 like i said takes a minimum of 32 amps to run and i could i had the cords for it was not to issue it was a matter of my psu not being able to give it the power it required so it tryied to pull more and i could not and it was causing kernal errors because of it and then shutting down my computer that is why i got a new one that had a 62 amp +12v rail like i said my old one was only a 22 amp +12 rail it was just a matter of not having the power thats it