[Spoilers] Game of Thrones

P

poispois

And apparently the first four episodes of season 5 were leaked today, just before the first episode was aired!
You can find them on the usual places.

Winter has come earlier than expected apparently!...

P

poispois

And for now it's a good start!
very different from the books but still good.

has anyone else seen the first 4 episodes?

Bootscrapper

V.I.P.
Revenant Member
Revenant Ambassador
Bronze Donor
I watched the first also. i don't want to watch the leaked version's on movietube. i did enjoy the first episode. the first scene was awesome, i'm glad that they are finally setting up that plot point. and tyrion was hilarious as always.

P

poispois

yeah it was good!
since you guys didn't see the other 3, I'll only say this, this season is starting to be very different to the books!
some crucial scenes and characters in the books are very different to the show...

Bootscrapper

V.I.P.
Revenant Member
Revenant Ambassador
Bronze Donor
For the first time the book readers and ppl that haven't read the books are on the same page. I love finally not knowing whats coming up.

P

poispois

For the first time the book readers and ppl that haven't read the books are on the same page. I love finally not knowing whats coming up.
well, yes and no. it's true that the tv show will change some things (it has to), but the story itself wont change. The know already what the ending is suppose to be so for the time being that are keeping to it.
This unfortunately bring something really bad for all books readers: spoilers! The poducers of the show have already said that they will start spoiling the books due to the fact that they what going to happen while the books are not done yet. Damn you George Martin!

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
well, yes and no. it's true that the tv show will change some things (it has to), but the story itself wont change. The know already what the ending is suppose to be so for the time being that are keeping to it.
This unfortunately bring something really bad for all books readers: spoilers! The poducers of the show have already said that they will start spoiling the books due to the fact that they what going to happen while the books are not done yet. Damn you George Martin!
Same for walking dead, the concept and end game is similar but events and where everyone is , is different bewteen show and books.

Please don't leak anything past the official broadcasted episodes.

P

poispois

I won't spoil anything from the other episodes,not even from the books ;-)
I just hope they do the TV show steady and don't rush thing comparing to the books.

Bootscrapper

V.I.P.
Revenant Member
Revenant Ambassador
Bronze Donor
Be careful for SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Tonight's episode has got the be the most brutal one of the whole series so far. without saying what there is one part in particular that was pretty hard to watch. But it was a fantastic episode. i really thought that episode 8 was going to be the high point of this season but number 9 is right up there with it.

P

poispois

Be careful for SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Tonight's episode has got the be the most brutal one of the whole series so far. without saying what there is one part in particular that was pretty hard to watch. But it was a fantastic episode. i really thought that episode 8 was going to be the high point of this season but number 9 is right up there with it.
you are so right @Bootscrapper i never thought that this one was going to be this good and intense. OMG
I honestly didn't thought that Stannis was going really going to sacrifice is daughter!
And that last part super cool harpies, unsullied, dragons and lots of blood!!!

on a side node, weren't unsullied suppose to be a super elite force that defeated everyone? they keep drooping like flies in every episode lol

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
I think the Harpies outnumber the unsullied. As you can kinda get a better picture when everyone is standing in the arena, no one penetrates the circle.

"Have a fresh one ready for me tomorrow"

Bootscrapper

V.I.P.
Revenant Member
Revenant Ambassador
Bronze Donor
Yea someone is going to die. i was really surprised when they killed off hizdar. and yes Poispois you are so right about stannis. i thought he might sacrifice her but i didn't think that he was going to burn her alive. that one pissed me off, but that's what makes this show good they always find a way to do something to surprise you.

P

poispois

ok dudes, after this week episode and all the excitement it generated, even on me I admit, everything got me thinking on what the show did this season (and also the previous one) and what is not doing.

Ok. so... what the hell is happening with the writers that feel the need to create shocking events just because it's expected of the series to have blood and gore? is that it? are we making disturbing scenes that have no real impact on the series and honestly are really not necessary....

To make my point let's start with Sansa's rape scene, and let me ask, why? Did we really need to see that? did you really need to like Ramsay even less? We are talking about a character that did all those atrocities to reek, killed/hunted girls for sport and then fed them to his dogs. Was there anyone that before that scene said "maybe he is not that bad", "maybe he'll treat Sansa as a lady". Basically no need whatsoever for it! just simply "we need to put something here that will shock the viewers"

Now, the Jaime/Dorne fiasco. In the books Dorne is probably my favourite country, they are super cool, mysterious, devious, Doran Martell makes you feel like he is the true schemer in Westeros and that Dorne has a huge role to play and that they have been much more active in the war than what people may think. in the show it's just a country with a dude that doesn't walk, a big black dude with a spear who does nothing except stare into the void and a girl who doesn't like the lanisters and is sulky about it. and the what the hell is jaime doing there? there is no point for him to be there. unfortunately it can be explained with "the actor is getting paid so he needs to be doing something" so why not give him the role that he has in the book, that gives you a much better understanding for his character? In the books his story is very connected to Brienne's and also to the return of Catelyn Stark (yes, she comes back in the books, don't worry it's not going to happen in the show, no spoilers). Basically Jaime doesn't do anything interesting he is just doing that because the writers couldn't find anything else for him to do... In my opinion if that's the case give him a 1 year vacation, they did it with bran. why not jaime too?...

Now about episode 9, if you guys noticed in every season the episode 9 always has something big happening, so this year something big also needed to happen even more after the super cool battle in the north. And they did 2 things, the Daenerys part, and Stannis part.
About the fight with the sons of the harpy the scene in my opinion has simply anti-climatic. You never felt scared about the characters there and every time some harpy appeared with a dagger in hand the camera would just hold on him, giving enough time for someone else to appear and stab that harpy in the back. The only dude that died was Daenerys future husband and when he died you probably were like "meh, who cares that he's dead?". For me it lacked excitement and the feeling that something bad could really happen.

Then the Stannis moment.. is it me or they were playing with us this hole time? what's the point in doing countless moments with Stannis and Davos saying that they really love stannis daughter and all that and then out of a sudden "ok, my daughter needs to die", there is no point to it, you can't do something an entire season just to change you character personality in a second, thats just random and not how surprises are suppose to go. You might say "he changed his mind about the fires and all", ok that might be a valid point but still not enough in my opinion. For 5 season they have been building a Stannis that takes honor and duty very seriously, who is not afraid to face dangers for what it's right and then out of the blue puts his daughter to the stake. just completely random!
and about the fires and bolton's attack, "i'm sorry, 20 dudes got into a camp undetected, and burned every last tent that had food and siege weapons, really?" and the fires start all at the same time? unless they have remote controlled triggers to start multiple fires all at once, it just seems too far fetched for me. and why all that? that army was already dying with no food, from the cold, the horses kept dying... basically no need to make their situation even worse, except to make Stannis kill his own daughter...

to conclude, the series is going away from the books but in my opinion very badly. they are removing parts that would make all the characters above much better, they are creating plot lines completely unnecessary and killing people just because every season someone needs to go, it's like a contest, bet on who is going to die next!
People might say that George Martin killed lots of dudes, but may I say that more people die in the show than in the books and every death until the season 3 (the book deaths) have a purpose. everyone that died deserved to die. Ned trusted the one person he shouldn't have, even after Littlefinger telling him not to trust him, Rob killed his biggest ally and betrayed the Freys when he knew that they were probably going to respond to it and so on... the only one that might not have deserved her death was Catelyn and she comes back in the books, so not really dead.
I feel disappointed in the tv show right now. they had the chance of, going away from the books, to create their own story with interesting things, battles, plots and all that. unfortunately it's just a contest of who is going to die next and ways to shock the viewers.

I really hope that the last episode is better (probably it's going to be, even for the fact that they need to follow the last events from the book in this season finally).

I still like the series and probably won't stop watching it, but this last two seasons have been a let down...

I'm sorry about the super big text, here have a potato!

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
ok dudes, after this week episode and all the excitement it generated, even on me I admit, everything got me thinking on what the show did this season (and also the previous one) and what is not doing.

Ok. so... what the hell is happening with the writers that feel the need to create shocking events just because it's expected of the series to have blood and gore? is that it? are we making disturbing scenes that have no real impact on the series and honestly are really not necessary....
Not sure the gripe here. The series is a Violent Soap opera, that's how they are written and that's how the series shows it as well. In Medieval times, people died a lot. There was no security or detectives to solve a crime. They kinda go over this a couple of episodes ago when the Maester dies at teh wall. They talk about that dying from natural causes was something that rarely happened during these times and he was one of the few.

To make my point let's start with Sansa's rape scene, and let me ask, why? Did we really need to see that? did you really need to like Ramsay even less? We are talking about a character that did all those atrocities to reek, killed/hunted girls for sport and then fed them to his dogs. Was there anyone that before that scene said "maybe he is not that bad", "maybe he'll treat Sansa as a lady". Basically no need whatsoever for it! just simply "we need to put something here that will shock the viewers"
It's all for a reason. And it's what makes other events so much more dramatic. They build a love or hate for a character so much that another outcome will just drop your draw. Ramsey is a hated character, when he was introduced to Sansa, he almost turns nice. So once again they need to build up the hatred which will lead into the next coming events. Remember we haven't seen Brie in a few episodes. I expect we will see a big event with her in the last episode.
Now, the Jaime/Dorne fiasco. In the books Dorne is probably my favourite country, they are super cool, mysterious, devious, Doran Martell makes you feel like he is the true schemer in Westeros and that Dorne has a huge role to play and that they have been much more active in the war than what people may think. in the show it's just a country with a dude that doesn't walk, a big black dude with a spear who does nothing except stare into the void and a girl who doesn't like the lanisters and is sulky about it. and the what the hell is jaime doing there? there is no point for him to be there. unfortunately it can be explained with "the actor is getting paid so he needs to be doing something" so why not give him the role that he has in the book, that gives you a much better understanding for his character? In the books his story is very connected to Brienne's and also to the return of Catelyn Stark (yes, she comes back in the books, don't worry it's not going to happen in the show, no spoilers). Basically Jaime doesn't do anything interesting he is just doing that because the writers couldn't find anything else for him to do... In my opinion if that's the case give him a 1 year vacation, they did it with bran. why not jaime too?...
It's actually how they were able to setup the whole sparrows scene. Which we may/ may not see more of this season. I'm not sure the timeline of jamie returning to kings landing. As they are pretty far away. Yes it's much different then the books, but 90% of books to series are. Reasoning? Time. There just isn't enough time to explain every little detail in the series as there is in the books. This is a huge reason for big changes in the story.

As for Bran, I don't read the books, and I was a little baffled at him not showing up at all again. But from what I've read, Bran basically almost has his own book, and isn't in the latest book at all. So supposively he is a big person coming up, which my guess will somehow tie into the ending of this weeks episode and lead into next season.

Now about episode 9, if you guys noticed in every season the episode 9 always has something big happening, so this year something big also needed to happen even more after the super cool battle in the north. And they did 2 things, the Daenerys part, and Stannis part.
About the fight with the sons of the harpy the scene in my opinion has simply anti-climatic. You never felt scared about the characters there and every time some harpy appeared with a dagger in hand the camera would just hold on him, giving enough time for someone else to appear and stab that harpy in the back. The only dude that died was Daenerys future husband and when he died you probably were like "meh, who cares that he's dead?". For me it lacked excitement and the feeling that something bad could really happen.
This to my knowledge is false, Every season has had different "Big" episodes. Last year it was only a few episodes in. Granted there are other big events. But there is only 1 event that is usually named(ie: red wedding, purple wedding, black water). There has been a few episodes that were close this season in terms of info and shock. But nothing that left us with our mouths open. So I'm assuming we will see some death this week.

Then the Stannis moment.. is it me or they were playing with us this hole time? what's the point in doing countless moments with Stannis and Davos saying that they really love stannis daughter and all that and then out of a sudden "ok, my daughter needs to die", there is no point to it, you can't do something an entire season just to change you character personality in a second, thats just random and not how surprises are suppose to go. You might say "he changed his mind about the fires and all", ok that might be a valid point but still not enough in my opinion. For 5 season they have been building a Stannis that takes honor and duty very seriously, who is not afraid to face dangers for what it's right and then out of the blue puts his daughter to the stake. just completely random!
and about the fires and bolton's attack, "i'm sorry, 20 dudes got into a camp undetected, and burned every last tent that had food and siege weapons, really?" and the fires start all at the same time? unless they have remote controlled triggers to start multiple fires all at once, it just seems too far fetched for me. and why all that? that army was already dying with no food, from the cold, the horses kept dying... basically no need to make their situation even worse, except to make Stannis kill his own daughter...
This is a plot twist =). My guess, it had nothing to do with Ramsey and his 20 men. For 2 reasons. 1. That would put the castle within walking distance which would blow my mind why they wouldn't just march instead of dying in the cold. 2. The fires were almost a combustion, which the theory is, it has something to do with the red witch , which is why they jump into sacrificing the daughter. Keep an eye on her because she will most likely play a huge role soon , maybe even in this weeks episode.

to conclude, the series is going away from the books but in my opinion very badly. they are removing parts that would make all the characters above much better, they are creating plot lines completely unnecessary and killing people just because every season someone needs to go, it's like a contest, bet on who is going to die next!
People might say that George Martin killed lots of dudes, but may I say that more people die in the show than in the books and every death until the season 3 (the book deaths) have a purpose. everyone that died deserved to die. Ned trusted the one person he shouldn't have, even after Littlefinger telling him not to trust him, Rob killed his biggest ally and betrayed the Freys when he knew that they were probably going to respond to it and so on... the only one that might not have deserved her death was Catelyn and she comes back in the books, so not really dead.
I feel disappointed in the tv show right now. they had the chance of, going away from the books, to create their own story with interesting things, battles, plots and all that. unfortunately it's just a contest of who is going to die next and ways to shock the viewers.
Again, this is how most books to shows do it. Walking dead follows a similar timeline but isn't anything like the comics. It's because there is some stuff you can / can't do or stuff you can/can't fit into a hour show.

P

poispois

Not sure the gripe here. The series is a Violent Soap opera, that's how they are written and that's how the series shows it as well. In Medieval times, people died a lot. There was no security or detectives to solve a crime. They kinda go over this a couple of episodes ago when the Maester dies at teh wall. They talk about that dying from natural causes was something that rarely happened during these times and he was one of the few.
I have no problem with people dying, just give the death a purpose

They build a love or hate for a character so much that another outcome will just drop your draw.
I'm sorry did it really surprise you that he would rape her? have you seen his background? the only possible surprise there would be if he treated her like tyrion did or something like that, That would have been a surprise!

It's actually how they were able to setup the whole sparrows scene.
no it was not, the sparrows were created because cersei wanted to punish Margaery and gave the high sparrows power so that he could arrest Loras. Jaime going to dorne had nothing to do with it, just a way to get their daughter back

This to my knowledge is false, Every season has had different "Big" episodes.
I didn't say that each season only had I big moment but a big one always happens on ep 9: season 2 - blackwater battle, season 3 - red weading, season 4 - black castle battle. and my opinion is just that basically since every year there was a big moment they also needed one this year. and mostly the stannis moment was completely unnecessary. his army was already dying...

So I'm assuming we will see some death this week.
this is precisely my point, you already had enough shocking moments this season and everyone is still waiting for more people to die, when there is no need. and then people complain that everyone dies in game of thrones

This is a plot twist =). My guess, it had nothing to do with Ramsey and his 20 men. For 2 reasons. 1. That would put the castle within walking distance which would blow my mind why they wouldn't just march instead of dying in the cold.
also my point they created everything there only for her to die. and i'm sorry but you can't change the personality of a character just because. you need to follow rules, if you set up a character a certain way you can't just change it whenever you want, the change need to happen for a reason and in due time. no one changes their principles in a second even in a fantasy series. It's like this in every book/series/movie whatever... You can't have best supporter of Man United change teams just because they lost a championship, that just doesn't happen.

like I said this is just opinion. I feel they are going the wrong way in not obeying their own story rules, their own setup...
(btw riva, just 2 different opinions :p)

Last edited:

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
I have no problem with people dying, just give the death a purpose

no it was not the sparrows were created because cersei wanted to punish Margaery and gave the high sparrows power so that he could arrest Loras. Jaime going to dorne had nothing to do with it...
No No, the point being is that, Jamie isn't around to defend her. They needed you to see her at the breaking point. But Jaime would just complicate the whole scenario. I also had this conversation a lot with people. Watch any Medeival series or read about it in history. Church is always deemed the highest power. Do they have any controlling power? No. She didn't give them any power, Cersei basically looked the other way so his "cult" could do their bidding for her. And it backfired. The high sparrow talks about this when they are in the tower before Cersei is arrested.

I didn't say that each season only had I big moment but a big one always happens on ep 9: season 2 - blackwater battle, season 3 - red weading, season 4 - black castle battle. and my opinion is just that basically since every year there was a big moment he also needed one this year. and mostly the stannis moment was completely unnecessary. his army was already dying...
Actually the purple wedding was the big event last season and was only a few episodes in. The black castle battle was interesting to say the least but wasn't the dramatic episode per the writers.

this is precisely my point, you already had enough shocking moments this season and everyone is still waiting for more people to die, when there is no need. and then people complain that everyone dies in game of thrones
Writers love personal attachment. Walking Dead is a big example of this. Eventually you know some of those beloved characters will die and they have died. They want you upset because for some odd reason, even after being mad at a event, we still come back and watch it to learn more. This is exactly what they continue to do.