Recording PC gameplay

C

Cabal

I need help with an idea I have!

Sure, if you want to record gameplay use Fraps, xFire, Shadowplay and so on. And I have! But now it wont work. As much as I love GRP but it's a shitty game when it comes to how it's developed, for some reason. It works perfectly until I try to record, then I get so much "lagg" that it's almost unplayable.
I have tried everything with Fraps but all fails. And I got Shadowplay to work, tried it on CS:GO and no problem. But GRP, no chance in hell!

So my option is hardware it seem!

I was looking at a "Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition" and record of the Hdmi. Does anyone have experience with that? Or do you have other suggestions maybe? :)

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
So with these types of devices, your outputting from your video card. Do you have a spare hdmi out on the video card?

You will also need a spare computer to do the recording.

If you have both of these the HD PVR 2 works great from what I hear, I've also heard awesome things about the elgato HDMI recorder, and eventually may pick this up for the right price.

http://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/game-capture-hd

T

TGxAltair

Use Mirillis action to record, Xsplit Broadcaster to stream. Those are the two programs I use mate, Xsplit can even record if you wanted it to.

Mostly, I use Xsplit anyway and upload my streams from Twitch to Youtube afterwards. Both easy to use and low-cost. If you have an Nvidia card, a lot of them now come with automatic recording.

C

Cabal

Cheers @RivaCom and @TGxAltair!

My graphic card don't have two Hdmi exists, but I read that the Hauppauge has a pass-through for Hdmi. And I have my work laptop that should be able to record. I will check out the Delgato, thx!

I don't know what it is Altair, but the freaking GRP game is putting some load on things and running that along side any type of software recording program really mess up the flow of the game. If it's my computer I don't know, I don't think so, or if it's the game, beats me, can't get it to work. I can record every other game using Fraps with no problem, but the one I play and wants to record, nooooo, lol! Typical!

Yes my nVidia Geforce GTX 780 uses Shadowplay for recording but even that don't work at all with GRP. Works alright on many other games but nooooo, once again, lol, but no!

Xsplit to broadcast with sounds like that would put the load of the computer somewhat. But Xsplit is a subscription thing, me don't like. But Shadowplay can do the same thing as well. Might work! Have to check that one out. Cheers for the tips.

Or it's hardware that is the thing :)

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
Obs is free and less of a resource hog. A lot of us use it to stream and record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

Cmd

OBS records grainy, my older youtube vids used to be recorded with it and it started to drop bandwidth whenever there was fast movement. OBS is only good for streaming imho, bandicam works great for recording for me.

F

foo

OBS records grainy, my older youtube vids used to be recorded with it and it started to drop bandwidth whenever there was fast movement. OBS is only good for streaming imho, bandicam works great for recording for me.
If you set up OBS correctly it's perfect for recording high quality. It's grainy because you haven't configured it.

F

foo

Also just to note, I too was getting shit quality using OBS until I configured it. Now I record at 1080p with little to no impact on the actual game.

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
Out of the box, OBS is medium-low quality. The options are untouched because it doesn't assume it knows what you want to do with it. As there are 3 options to choose from(ways to record), the settings need to be tweaked per your bandwidth and CPU.

Bootscrapper

V.I.P.
Revenant Member
Revenant Ambassador
Bronze Donor
I am also looking in to doing some recording. I currently have 2 Hard drives one is a 120GB SSD just for the OS. the other is a 1TB 7200 RPM HDD for programs and games. if i go the software route should i get another HDD just for recording so that im not pulling program info from the same drive that im recording too and over working it.

Also can anyone explain the pro's and con's of Software recording VS External hardware.

D

Dude

External hardware gets the load of your CPU, which should increase game performance. However, it's much more expensive than a software solution. If you have a proper CPU, you should be okay as long as you use the proper software.

However, with solutions like Shadowplay (which is a mixture of hardware and software) you will have a slight impact on your performance (not even noticable) and your GPU does the encoding, instead of your CPU. You will need a supported graphics card though, but you don't really need a 2nd harddrive when going for something like shadowplay.

Bootscrapper

V.I.P.
Revenant Member
Revenant Ambassador
Bronze Donor
My CPU is an Intel Core i5 4570 and my GPU is an Asus Radeon R9 280x. I usually keep my monitoring software up while playing and my cpu never gets above 40% usage but the graphics card gets in the high 70's for most games sometimes 99% high end games. so i would want to put the bulk of the work on the cpu

D

Dude

It might be worth to check out Raptr (AMD's shadowplay), it has a new recording function which works the same as shadowplay, your graphics card should be supported. Don't worry about stressing your GPU too much, I don't have experience with Raptr, but if it works just like shadowplay, you shouldn't notice anything.

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
External Recording requires another PC(there are a few external recorders, but reviews are mixed). Otherwise your recording from one PC to another. With proper settings, recording can become minimal to the computer.

As for Hard drives, It shouldn't be an issue on the same hard drive. Unless there is an issue with your current HD, the IO won't be that bad.

J

Jushi85

i use PlayClaw , it has very fast recording codec which makes a ok quality videos and is not such a resource hog either. works with most games, doesn't like origin overlay, can stream to twitch, overlay supports webcam.