Ragnarok PvP

cappy

Regular
I had an idea I would like to share and see if you all think it could work.

Now when we first joined the REV server , there where quite a lot more tribes playing , but for some reason a fair few seem to have left.

I think One reason might be a lack of PVP Which brings me to my idea

Open a centre server with very little rules more focused on pvp. (The server's as they stand are great for the more PVE interested people) If people join the REV island and SE server wanting more pvp point them in the direction of the centre server.( maybe cluster the centre map to Ragnarok when it comes out.)
As things stand I have seen 1 tribe leave due to lack of pvp and people crying about the guns on their base , and a few people get chased of the server due to what was called offline raiding but in truth was actually poorly defend base.I mean how is it offline raiding when the victims where online?

I know how difficult it is getting people to play ARK server my tribe had 3 before finding ReV and deciding it was more fun on these server's, we would be willing to help fund this server for a 3 month trial if sip and liz agree.
Obviously taming rates etc would need to be decided and rules , but i know i prefer a more vanilla game as we have it now.

Also people need to vote the server up alot more if the server where back in the top 50 they would get seen by more people.

What you all think?

DudeAwesome

Server Admin
Staff member
ARK Admin
Supporter
I really like this idea! My only suggestion is that rates on this server be "up-ed" so people, wanting to play on both servers, can easily get going without slaving away like on officials. If you get raided, it's not the end of the world and you don't rage quit because getting back on your feet is not impossible.

Great Idea, Cap!

Sipowicz

Server Admin
Staff member
ARK Admin
SE Admin
Yes boys,

• Ill start with server votes, these help tremendously. The more players who up-vote our server the more exposure we will get. Easy to do, and plenty of links on our forums. Thank you to those who have been making it a routine habit to Up-vote, Much Love!
  • More maps. Always a plus. I've had major interest in supporting other maps as well. Center map was always a favorite for me. Ive looked into Ragnarok recently and that map looks amazballzo_O. I was even considering taking a vote to replace Scorched earth (do to its low traffic) with another map. Obviously putting up a third server would be preferred. Right now between what I've budgeted and what has been donated (and thank you VERY much to those who have donated), we have the two servers covered for 6 months. If/when we have enough funds to run a third server (an additional $24 a month), ill be all over getting it set up.
  • The set-up. Do we want the third map to be totally isolated? Because of the difference in resource usage, clusters are less expensive to operate. In a cluster set up however all settings are shared. So I wouldn't be able to restrict transfers for just "one" of the maps. I don't think allowing transfer from a PvE environment to a PvP environment would be wise. So separate server seems to be the way to go. Ill have to research this a little more just to be sure.
  • PvP. Ill be honest Id love to find a way for PvPvE to work for everyone but I just dont think that will happen. No matter what some players will always feel wrongly targeted. I envisioned our current servers feeling a little more PvP'ish. Im definitely open to the option of having a separate server as a no rules PvP kind of server (Other than maybe griefing and the other basic rules). I would prefer one that was as vanilla as possible. I would be open to basic mods and boosting rates slightly if its agreed that would be popular move.

Mookei

Regular
I like the idea too.
I've always been a bit of a carebear, but miss the pvp and the uncertainty of what is going to happen from other players. Love the server as it is but there is something missing. Like you say Zip, pvpve server I think would be hard.
I think the best would be to maybe make the SE server to a Center server with PVP only and keep the Island as it is or a PVE server for those who like that.
I personally think that a cluster between them is not a good Idea, if we cluster them and new players gets on they will see lvl 90-100 players and think it's bs.
New map, new characters, new start and sorry in advance if I kill any of you, but hey I could get lucky :p

If the SE server will be taken down, we are wondering if you guys want to do the "hunting rabbits" on our base? :)

cappy

Regular
I would say to start from scratch on the centre and maybe cluster it with Ragnarok or if a new map comes out before hand cluster with that.

PVP will need to be easy going , don't wipe people for no reason just a light raid for fun.Leave new bro's alone to learn the game and build up. use the in game mechanic for offline raiding. If people have been playing a week or so and have no defense like plant X ,turrets etc sorry but that's just Tough all bases should be defended within a short time of being set up.
Gather rates I like how we have it now , but maybe do a vote. 2X might be a vote winner
Taming as we have now
Breeding as we have now
Advertising the server in advance might be something to look into. and giving a time for the server going up/live before hand would be great , remember we are 5 hours ahead of EST.
Also some solo and small tribes from the island might want to team up/create alliances etc.
The main thing will be KEEP IT FUN for players and Admins NO DRAMA.
Blocking rules same as we have now , no blocking nodes caves obelisk and so on.

Also i will give a prize to anyone who kills mookei

Current Island server is a great and needs no changes.

Sipowicz

Server Admin
Staff member
ARK Admin
SE Admin
As it stands I really like the fact that the island survivors have access to the SE content. Im very hesitant to consider any other mods for the island to replace that content. I would also like our PvE players to continue to have a cluster. Doesn't have to be SE. For PvP im leaning towards a third map. My original thought was to replace SE with Ragnorok PvPvE (maintains SE content), and run the Center as a stand alone PvP server.

I hate rules. So I dont like to use that word if i can help it.
I think some good guidelines for a PvP server would simply be No greifing, harassing, and cheating. Not sure if I want to place any other restrictions on it. Kinda want to try and let the natural PvP mechanics balance out how much PvP actually happens. Ill have to look into server options that help with blocking structures on precious resources. I know there is an option for the island, not sure what other maps would use it. My Gut is telling me that in order to promote a healthy PvP environment we'll need to skip Mods all together.

Id also like to make sure we have definition between our PvPvE, and PvP servers. I wonder if enabling ORP on the PvPvE servers would be good. That could help smooth over the clash between PvP, and PvE.

Lots to think about.

cappy

Regular
Not 100% Sip but I think there is a an option to make structures unable to be attacked once a tribe has been logged off for 1 hour or more not sure if this is true or not , but could be a an easy way to deal with offline raiding without a need to step in.

Sipowicz

Server Admin
Staff member
ARK Admin
SE Admin
OK.

So we enabled Vanilla ORP for our servers and found out the hard way that with ORP enabled, Alliances are Disabled. Im currently researching any options to fix that. My guess is currently Vanilla ORP is just not an option for us. ORP2 however would do what we need it to do.... the only issue for me there is.... +1 more mod.

The reason this matters to me is... I feel our servers suffer an identity crisis. PvPvE is the best way (IMO) to create what Im aiming for with ARK. Long term friendly community. PvE alone can be too boring. I want people to be able to target other players if all parties have fun with that. PvP scares off the PvE crowds because they have no reason to believe they wont come to our server and get wiped with little or no provocation. The best middle ground is PvPvE, but without ORP I think many players just stop reading at PvP.....

The suggested solution for improving player activity I feel is the best route. Add a PvP server. Currently our player activity doesn't justify two servers, but they are paid for and I really don't want to remove access to the Scorched Earth Content. Adding a PvP server allows me separate the PvE, and PvP a little bit more. But just adding a server wont be enough to help our PvPvE servers. I think we need to make those appeal more to the PvE crowd. ORP2 can help.

How I would approach this.

Step 1 - Set up ORP2 on our current servers if we all agree that is a good move. I want to see an improvement in activity, our server name will reflect the changes.

Step 2 - If things pick up, I want to add that Third stand alone server (center map) for people to PvP on.

If we can't get step 1 to work out I would consider Opening a third server on a trial basis to see if that alone would ignite our players base again.

cappy

Regular
Driving around at work today I was thinking how to build the PVP server player base before it even goes live I had a couple of ideas to put forward.
1 Try to contact other Tribes , gaming communities to see if we can raise some interest.
2 advertise the server a week or 2 before it goes live giving an exact time and date of server going live , this seems to be important to a lot of players wanting to find a new server is that it has not be going for ages.

Also the taming and xp and gather rates seem to be really important to players as well , a lot look for vanilla servers or 5 x servers. There seem to be loads of 5 x servers available but not so many vanilla , we can offer something better than normal public vanilla servers that being server performance with enhanced breeding as vanilla breeding times suck big time.

For our current servers i would think maybe looking for Gaming communities and see if they wish to try our servers.

Sipowicz

Server Admin
Staff member
ARK Admin
SE Admin
Through out the next week I will attempt to recruit as much as possible. Doing some research on other Ark Communities as well. It seems most have already established servers of their own. Some of the communities I found were pretty well done actually. Would love to know what their secrets are.

I actually find it pretty tough to find any active Unofficial/vanilla servers. Seems people who like the challenge of base rates, are also gluttons for punishment and don't want to leave the abusive PvP environment officials provide. o_O
So I'm really torn on rates. On one hand.. for many good reasons I like the base rates. The higher the rates are, the faster the game becomes Un-interesting. Plain and simple. If you want to play and beat a game in a week or less, then play Halo... this is ARK.
However in a more PvP environment it wouldn't hurt if things felt less permanent, and were easier to get. So Im not against going up to 5x on gathering, XP, and maybe something close for taming. Breeding would be brought in line with taming like we did for our servers.
Again im on the fence with rates. I prefer lower rates, but I think higher rates will be more attractive in terms of building a bigger group of players.

cappy

Regular
Maybe a 2x server would work makes everything a little bit faster but still have to work to achieve? 5x is just to easy imo

Sipowicz

Server Admin
Staff member
ARK Admin
SE Admin
Since this thread was inspired by our current levels of activity, ill drop a few other ideas here as well.

But first...
Im close to setting a time frame for opening, on a trial bases, a PvP server. Using the Center Map. Once I get a chance to sit down and hash out the specifics on settings and what not ill post them up.

With that I will also look at leaning the PvPvE cluster more towards PvE. Just in case a PvP server alone doesn't help our PvPvE cluster activity. The more I research other clans the more I find that PvPvE servers rarely work in terms of staying active. The policies of such an environment alienate too many players of both sides. So depending on how important having an active cluster is to us (pretty important to me) we may have to discuss more drastic changes. One thought that crossed my mind was totally separating PvP, and PvE. Never thought Id play on a PvE server.. but if thats where the friendly ark players are... id be willing to consider (food for thought). What ever we do there will be lengthy discussion, and consensus before hand.

Also, Ive been holding off on taking on other admins because I haven't felt our player activity has justified it. At this point I think having another active Admin would only help. Ideally from another time zone. I have a few particulars which we can discuss once I know if anyone is interested. I want to offer that responsibility only to the players who have been with us the longest.

lastly any suggestions on good ways to define our guidelines would be appreciated. We are going for friendly PvP. I want to make sure our guidelines page tells an accurate story of what our servers are like.

cappy

Regular
Was thinking more the rates and Yesterday i suggested 2 x server but was thinking today maybe a 2 x server with the bonus we have now at the weekends making it almost 4x at weekends.
Will we need enhanced XP rates as its so easy to level now?
Dino breeding rates would be an interest as well for me personally i like them close to how we have them now as you can leave rex's over night without needing to log in at stupid o'clock to imprint and still get a good 60 to 80% imprint.

Guidelines Ideas
No griefing , including shooting/attacking people while taming , killing new bro's just because you can.
No glitching exploiting
Keep Pvp Fun don't completely wipe Tribes

Sipowicz

Server Admin
Staff member
ARK Admin
SE Admin
Was thinking more the rates and Yesterday i suggested 2 x server but was thinking today maybe a 2 x server with the bonus we have now at the weekends making it almost 4x at weekends.
Will we need enhanced XP rates as its so easy to level now?
Dino breeding rates would be an interest as well for me personally i like them close to how we have them now as you can leave rex's over night without needing to log in at stupid o'clock to imprint and still get a good 60 to 80% imprint.

Guidelines Ideas
No griefing , including shooting/attacking people while taming , killing new bro's just because you can.
No glitching exploiting
Keep Pvp Fun don't completely wipe Tribes
We could customize our rates separately from the the PvPvE cluster. Example 2xH, 2xXP, 5xT, no weekend boost, or maybe just do a weekend boost a one or two of those stats. If anything Id rather start low, and if the community wants it faster than im ok with turning it up a bit. I do agree with the logic that increasing rates a little for PvP will help ease the sting of raids. But again we can start from base rates and work our way up. Im thinking at max we can run them at 2x all, 3x weekends. 4x Breeding/maturing. To start we could run them at base rates, plus our 2x B/M.

Just throwing this out there... we got a pretty good bunch on server, with 24 hr play cover... how about we all try our hand at a public pvp server as 1 tribe, all team up into revenant tribe see if we can take over a server. Would have to look for a fresh server that's just about to start.
I would more than love to put together a team for PvP on public servers. I doubt for the time being that ill have the time to split between the various game modes. But this is part of my vision. If there are enough players interested in this how ever i can immediately start support on the forums and group page.

Mookei

Regular
Just throwing this out there... we got a pretty good bunch on server, with 24 hr play cover... how about we all try our hand at a public pvp server as 1 tribe, all team up into revenant tribe see if we can take over a server. Would have to look for a fresh server that's just about to start.
Sounds like good fun for me :)

TomUnderWater

Regular
Revenant Member
I wouldnt mind trying this

We could start on a Ragnarok map even since thats a thing now

Last edited:

Sipowicz

Server Admin
Staff member
ARK Admin
SE Admin
Hey guys check out the new Ragnarok thread. Why not use that for PvP? Ideally I want a PvPvE setup that offers all of the current content. Until now that meant using two maps, or mods. In retrospect I think opening the SE map has hurt our activity levels. Even though it offers content, it really doesn't offer much else (for most players). My overall goal is increasing activity. If I replace SE with Ragnarok that gives our PvPvE cluster all the content (Plus some). We then have two maps for people to fully experience ark, build, chill, whatever. For a PvP server the plan still stands. I want to have one running by the 1st of July. It would be the Center Map, Base rates (including 1.5x boosted weekends), our 2x breeding/maturing rates, No mods, and a system that allows us to vote for server wipes if the PvP grows stale. Still need to write down some rules, they will be few and simple.

I will start a thread for this. Direct anyone you think might be interested to it. I don't have much time to part of the team, but I do have the time to help coordinate putting one together.

Maka

Regular
Revenant Member
I mean i personnaly just think that if the rates got upped a bit more to like 2-3 Gather or X all it would be nice since people could loose all of there work in no time and then people andso have job / school to do. Just my personal opinion