currently doing a project with a little windows tablet (sorry if posting here is no longer en vogue)

Dev/Null

Regular
i got a hold of a (admittedly underpowered) insignia flex 11.6 (ns-p11w7100) windows tablet/2-in-1 for nothing since the person who had it before didnt know how to use it. decided since it is not really powerful enough to run windows properly, that i may was well try to get xubuntu (ubuntu linux with xfce for lower specced machines) to run on it, as a distraction from recent events in my life. anyway so far i have had to build a 64bit kernel with a 32bit bootloader (really that is the easy part so far just copy all the files from the iso you get from ubuntu.com to a flash drive and add the "bootia32.efi" file from archlinux to the efi/boot folder in the flash drive.) since for some unknown reason insignia only saw fit to use a 32bit uefi bios on a 64bit soc.

after that i disabled secure boot and booted from the flash drive i put the xubuntu installer on. managed to get to desktop with out issue, and wifi even works.
problem 1: no sound cause the os keeps trying to send audio to the hdmi out despite there being nothing connected to it. might be able to fix that by jiggering with alsamixer or pavucontrol.
problem 2: no touch screen. the screen controller uses the silead mssl1680 chipset and will need a driver built and compiled for the os. thats going to be an absolute PITA to do manually since not only will i have to get the generic silead driver (available on github thankfully) but i will need to extract/manually build the firmware from the windows .sys file in the drivers so the driver can talk to the screen. tesla help me that will suck BALLS!!! if i decide to do it but it is kinda optional seeing as how usb mice still work as does, amazingly, the detachable keyboard.
problem 3: no micro sd card reader function. not a dealbreaker since i have usb card readers sitting around that i can use with 1 of the 3 usb type a ports available.
if anyone has tips or advice on the subject feel free to chime in. i wont say no to the help, especially on making the touch driver.

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
That's very odd. I have a similar tablet(Asus Vivotab 8) It uses a older processor(Z3745) and also has 2GB of ram and 32GB of storage. I have a 64GB card in there for apps. However I loaded Win10 instantly when it came out and have had zero problems with windows 10. Which is odd since there is not a huge difference in cpu speeds between the 2 chips ( http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Atom-x5-x5-Z8300-vs-Intel-Atom-Z3745 ). Minus some GPU speed, I would assume as long as you loaded the correct version of windows on there you should be ok.

I love mine except one minor flaw, The only port on it is a OTA port, this is used for USB access and Power. However the only person who has ever made an adapter so you can do both(use power, and USB) is Dell. Well Dell stopped it years ago. So I've never been able to use both Power and and other devices with it.

I've actually gamed on it quite a bit. I'm able to play some games like Everquest, Hearthstone, WoW did work on it a while ago. And it's a awesome device to stream games(here is Ark).

Last edited:

Dev/Null

Regular
yeah, it does work it is just slower than it is with linux plus its something to do. also if i remember right there is an IPC difference between the cpus which shows in one of the tests they ran. i just like a challenge, however i had to go back to windows anyway cause i accidentally did a booboo in linux command-line that borked it, so yeah... gotta start over :( linux is getting buggier as time goes on i swear