Convince me to buy DayZ, with cunning arguments.

Davkas

Regular
Good evening all.
My name is Davkas, I recently signed up to join this wonderful, albeit crazy, community of thus far kind and understanding (& one crazy hatchet person {you know who you are [even if I'm not sure who you are.]})
I would welcome your input, so onto the meat and bones of this thread. I see a fair few people who play this DayZ, and I for one do not understand the appeal, so in laymans terms explain why you enjoy it and why I may enjoy it, or why you don't like it if you don't.
What makes this sandbox, building, hunting, zombie infested, mmo with permadeath better than all the other games of almost that exact theme.
I hope this spawns a debate, but I suspect not. Let the Smiting with cunning arguments BEGIN!
Davkas.

Davkas

Regular
Ah! A worthwhile argument, but I already own a few games with zombies, as the enemy and protagonists, in them already. Bloodbowl, dead raising, saints row 3, I,Zombie, to name just some.

ManBearPig

Forum Guru
Revenant Member
Revenant Ambassador
Bronze Donor
The time spent gearing up and surviving makes the chance of being killed and losing all your shit a heart pounding adrenaline rush.

Davkas

Regular
I can see why that might appeal, but surely the frustration of grinding all the gear and what nots, which I imagine can take quite some time. Only to be shot in the head by some unpleasant person who delights small evils surely detracts from the overall fun.

Rexigar

Forum Master
Staff member
One thing I love about the game is that you experience something different every time you play. It's technically the same game, but I have so many stories of different experiences that I have had, most of them are a blast. I won't lie there are certainly frustrations when you die, especially when you have a lot of gear, but I feel the exploration and potential for different experiences makes it all worth it. Also if you go into the game knowing you are going to die, it takes a lot of the frustration away. If you are someone who would get mad at dying I will tell you right now. Don't buy it.

You could technically get enough gear to just hide in the hills trying to snipe members, but the adrenaline you feel when navigating through a deserted town, not knowing if anyone is near you gets the heart pumping.

Just like any other survival game, power comes in numbers. Traveling with fellow members gives you a certain degree of confidence, but there have been times our clan have gotten into big gunfights.

In all honesty, it's a fantastic game and one of the best in the genre.

P

poispois

hi dude, this is my opinion:
First of all if you really hate bugs, random deaths, connections errors and all don't get, it's still in alfa and so all of this is to be expected!
If you do get just keep in mind that might get a lot of those, just a thing to consider.
One other thing that's bad its the engine. graphics are good but its heavy as f*** you really need a beast of a pc to run it at max.
That's the bad part.

I'm not the biggest fan of the game because since the game it's still very early there is not that much content and thing to do, apart from looting and running around (you will do this a lot! REALLY!)
I got the game mostly because everyone here had it I didn't and so I felt alone lol. After I got it, I understood what all the fuzz was!
Playing this game in a group will give you the most funny moments of your life. Sometimes even because of the bugs.
Because you spend so many time looting, what you have on you will be very precious to you and you will get very pissed if you lose it.
Also because of this the combat gets really intense, I mean REALLY INTENSE! adrenaline rush big time!

In the end I have close to 200 hours on the game and that's not even close to some of the people around here!
The game is not that expensive and you will get your money back in good moments in no time.

If you were to get this game to play alone I would say no, since you seem to like REV and everyone on it, GO GET IT! From my experience everyone will help you with loop, guns, ammo, clothes, everything you might need! There is people for everything. (I, for example am the hat guy, if you find me on the map, chances are I'm carrying 5 or more spare hats LOL)

and lastly, this happened to me when I only had 20 or so hours on the game! still one of my best gaming moments:

Davkas

Regular
Well those are some... interesting arguments, the videos were insightful to the mindset of certain people... A tad scared I now am.
But after watching some highly amusing footage, seriously I haven't laughed so hard in a while (at least a day), and reading your posts I have decided to splash out and buy the thing. Congrads you did it, time to experience what all this fuss is about.

S

SamSkumm

you can forcefully give people a bag of blood that does not match their blood type resulting in their death.

you can force feed people disinfectant spray.

you can force randoms to fight each other for their lives.

ManBearPig

Forum Guru
Revenant Member
Revenant Ambassador
Bronze Donor
Disclaimer: I do not assume responsibility if you do not enjoy your time in the game lol

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
Your lucky @Praven isn't playing anymore. He was a creepy old man in the game wanting to just poke everyone with his .45.

ManBearPig

Forum Guru
Revenant Member
Revenant Ambassador
Bronze Donor
Rexigar that voice change thing is still the funniest thing I've seen in dayz. "Oh shit.. I found a guy rollin" hahaha jesus that shit is funny.
Are you sure it was Pravens .45 that he wanted to poke people with?

Rexigar

Forum Master
Staff member
I know! I have really been bit by the DayZ bug and when I get back from my work trip, on a non-raid night I will have to jump on. I can't even remember where I left off or what I had.

ManBearPig

Forum Guru
Revenant Member
Revenant Ambassador
Bronze Donor
Cool man you will most likely be a fresh spawn they've done one or two char wipes since you've played