Ark Survival Evolved

Just wanted to open discussion about the new survival game that was announced a couple days ago. How many people have it on their radar, and how many people are interested in it. Seems like it has a good studio behind it to actually push out the game in a reasonable fashion. With all the survival games that have been surfacing over the past 2 years are people tired of it or does this look like a breath of fresh air? To me it looks like it is pretty far along in the development stage and it will be coming to "early access" on June 2nd and it will cost $25. I personally will be giving it a shot but with the early access tag who knows how things will turn out.

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
So first couple of seconds, the game looked amazing. After though, will be the downfall of it.

The trouble with all these Survival games is, they give players way too much power. Were mounting dinosaurs? We find automatic weapons? No take all of this out. Make the game 90% trying to hide from actual dinosaurs. Spend 90% of your time actually creating realistic AI for them and 10% on the rest of the game.

We also see this huge trend of, let's make a realistic setting but make it unrealistic and call it survival. This game will just be a prettier version of the WW2 Dinos or Orior or whatever it is.

The idea behind survival games is that you have to survive. Take Dayz, it went from actual survival to PvP. Which still worked for many but we lost that since of PvE survival which we all thought was suppose to happen. Rust was on a good path and then totally revamped it's game. And same goes for the 50 survival games out there. They try to add or change too much and it no longer is the "survival".

Rexigar

Forum Master
Staff member
I liked the first 40 seconds of the video. Survival and base building/crafting I am all for in a survival game. I personally want to explore the environment and make it feel really large. The ability to ride Dino's or even fly on Dino's will make the world more of an unknown unless you explore on foot. Plus in the middle of an island, how do you get all this technology? Bows, Axes, spears can be crafted but machine guns? Nah.

Seems like you guys already have your mind made up just from the trailer. Its just showing what you CAN achieve. been playing the game for a little bit now and i can tell you that you don't get to fly anything till around level 50-60. 60 being the max level, i have 24 hours of play time and i'm only lvl 21.

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
As some others have confirmed, there are a few things that drive me away. Yes there are survival elements but the Leveling system throws this out the door. It does look nice but I'm afraid they will continue to take it away from a true survival game.

N

NinjaGirl

I am super excited to try this

I heard the following and it made me want it:

Your character is locked to a server - what happens on that server stays on that server
You can harvest human faeces (yep shit) and use it as fertilizer
You can harvest people
You can torture and capture & when done feed em to your pet dinosaur

My plan: get a group and build terminus

C

Cmd

Fun as all hell, so far my pack of trikes has killed carnos, sauros and anything else i came across so far (except pterodactyls). Had a tame raptor get killed by a pack of dilos. Also has a dash of terror when running thru raptor teritory. May actually buy this one.

Last edited:
B

Behold_Galvatron

Aye it's a great game thrilling and terrifying all at once, me and my have set up in an area that's frequently visited by the island larger Carnivores.

N

NSH4RPY

Amazing game so far, got myself a pet TRex and Spinosauraus :D

S

SamSkumm

@Cmd i have noticed you flat out with this on steam lol

For anyone who dosen't know @Blakey has bought a 20 slot server for ark, so be sure to message him and get the details!

i will hopefully pick this up soon.

B

Behold_Galvatron

Aye its really addictive, but then I got a loan of witcher 3 and picked up arkham knight early so bot had a chance to get back on it yet.

N

NinjaGirl

What pets you got rockin right now?? Wow tons of games you need to find time to play em all!! :)

B

Behold_Galvatron

Me and my Buddy had a mating pair of raptors, tooth and claw, a Triceratops called triss, a parasaur and a Dilopasaurus but claw has ran off so I've been told.

C

Cmd

Yep, got a spino, rex, mammoth, carno, croc, trukey, etc, still need a shark and a saber.

all but flyers,mammoth and stego

B

Blakey

Hey guys yeah loving ark sorry I haven't been around for this week I'm on hols but signal is non existent wifi and phone so I'm cut off !!! Only just got in now round the sister linlaws lol . Back sat so will be on to get stuck in again . once were set up we can open the server to the public and see Who we get .

N

NinjaGirl

Hey guys yeah loving ark sorry I haven't been around for this week I'm on hols but signal is non existent wifi and phone so I'm cut off !!! Only just got in now round the sister linlaws lol . Back sat so will be on to get stuck in again . once were set up we can open the server to the public and see Who we get .
Props on the server homie!!!

N

NSH4RPY

This weeks patch notes look good there also doing a major memory reduction on both servers and clients (I will make it Bold) which is good :)

Upcoming Week Patch Notes:
- Massive Server Perf Improvement / PhysX Bug fix: no more super-slow servers
- Random GPU Driver crash fix: TrueSky
- Client side GPU perf improvements: foliage batching rewrite
- Two new tripwire traps:audio alarm and gas bomb
- Stone structure tier
- Plesiosaurus
- Shastasaurus
- Competitive "Battle ARK Royale" game type
- Tons more options for servers to customize their gameplay
- Major map update: new resources, better visuals, better optimization, and WIP areas completed
- 2GB+ RAM reduction for servers, ~1GB RAM reduction for clients. Will come tonight with 180. It's coming to be about 2.5 GB saved off most servers -- and ~1GB saved on clients, basically we've converted all our foliage structures to use data primitive types rather than "Objects" :)