Action! or OBS for Recording?

D

Drengarblar

Has anyone used any of these programs to record gameplay? I use OBS for streaming but I haven't tried recording with it. I also heard Action! is a good program to use for recording. What would you recommend?

My main goal is to start up a YouTube channel for lets plays and other footage related to EQN. I also want to make Revenant Videos as well.

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
Honestly, Action looks like it does everything OBS does but for a price. Xsplit would be the only thing I'd recommend if you wanted to spend money. But neck and neck, it isn't better than OBS, just has 1 feature i'd love to have(multiple streams to 1 stream output).

OBS is fine for recording video, just need to change your setting to record(you obviously will record at a much higher setting.) Plus there are lots of plugins and scripts for anything your trying to achieve.

We have been and will be using OBS this friday for our NLLP. But it will be mostly for streaming.

Rexigar

Forum Master
Staff member
As Riva said, I'd say OBS. It doesn't get any better than free and it will provide you with everything you need. You can also record to your PC while you are streaming simultaneously so you never miss a moment. The only think you have to be careful of is space. For a while I was streaming and recording and the folder that I had on my PC where the recorded videos went, grew in size very quickly lol.

D

Drengarblar

Thanks, I was looking at some comparison videos and I honestly don't see a difference between the two so why spend 30 bucks for something that is the same quality as something I can get for free?

Thanks guys :)

S

SamSkumm

i use obs, its free, simple to use and i have had no problems with it at all. quality has been fine when both streaming and recording!

D

Dude

I used to use dxtory for recording, it was really great. Now I use shadowplay, which barely has an impact on my performance. AMD has a similar feature.

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
I used to use dxtory for recording, it was really great. Now I use shadowplay, which barely has an impact on my performance. AMD has a similar feature.
Sure does but I have yet to determine if it's not performance impacted as the software is still really buggy(they're basically combining 3 programs into one).

M

MrWesth

If you have Nvidia GFX in your machine then use shadowplay more or less unmatched in recording stuff.
OBS is really unhandy for recording since you need to change the file path for every record else you just keep overwriting the stuff you recorded.

I have action! aswell works like a charm but honest doesnt use it much after shadowplay got as good as it is, only real downside for shadowplay is that it only works in Fullscreen games, if you run windowed / or fullscreen windowed then you cant record with it.

but if the question is OBS vs Action! for recording Action is no doubt the winner.

just my 2 cents.

As background ive had Xsplit since alpha and have premium license for it, i have used it alone, and together with DXTORY, ive used OBS, action! and shadowplay and where ive landed now is when i stream i use OBS .. easy to use and minimum impact .. when i want to record i use shadowplay unless i for some reason have to have the game in Windowed FS mode then i use Action :p ..

D

Dude

You can record your desktop with Shadowplay now, you just need to crop the image a bit when editing.

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
If you have Nvidia GFX in your machine then use shadowplay more or less unmatched in recording stuff.
OBS is really unhandy for recording since you need to change the file path for every record else you just keep overwriting the stuff you recorded.

I have action! aswell works like a charm but honest doesnt use it much after shadowplay got as good as it is, only real downside for shadowplay is that it only works in Fullscreen games, if you run windowed / or fullscreen windowed then you cant record with it.

but if the question is OBS vs Action! for recording Action is no doubt the winner.

just my 2 cents.

As background ive had Xsplit since alpha and have premium license for it, i have used it alone, and together with DXTORY, ive used OBS, action! and shadowplay and where ive landed now is when i stream i use OBS .. easy to use and minimum impact .. when i want to record i use shadowplay unless i for some reason have to have the game in Windowed FS mode then i use Action :p ..
if you do a file path like c:\downloads\videos\.mp4 (just the file extension) in OBS , it will keep creating new files every time you hit record. I've never had it overwrite on me.

M

MrWesth

You can record your desktop with Shadowplay now, you just need to crop the image a bit when editing.
Ye noticed that in the patch notes but havnt experimented with it, since i usually play the games i want to record in fullscreen anyways - else im streaming and just making highlights :p

if you do a file path like c:\downloads\videos\.mp4 (just the file extension) in OBS , it will keep creating new files every time you hit record. I've never had it overwrite on me.
nice didnt know that. :)